Samiyyah R. Ali
Samiyyah Ali is an Associate at Wilkinson Stekloff. She has represented clients in a variety of practice areas, including antitrust, products liability, white collar criminal defense, and defamation. Samiyyah also maintains an active pro bono practice and has experience representing clients in trial, appellate, and post-conviction proceedings. In 2020, Samiyyah secured early release of one of her pro bono clients, who was sentenced to life in prison for a crime he committed as a teenager and who has spent over 25 years in prison reshaping his life.
Before joining the firm, Samiyyah served as a law clerk to Judge Amul Thapar of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky, Judge Sri Srinivasan of the United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, and Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor of the Supreme Court of the United States.
Samiyyah graduated from Vanderbilt University Law School, where she served as the Executive Editor of the Vanderbilt Law Review. While in law school, Samiyyah received the Bennett Douglas Bell Memorial Prize for excellence in academics and character, as well as the Myron Penn Laughlin Note Award for her writing on the intersection of patent and administrative law.
Before law school, Samiyyah worked as a student affairs administrator at The Ohio State University, where she also earned her Master’s Degree in Higher Education. She received her undergraduate degree from Duke University, where she was a Coca-Cola Scholar and a member of the Women’s Rugby Football Team.
- Undergraduate: Duke University, B.A. (2010)
- Graduate: The Ohio State University, M.A. (2012)
- Law: Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D. (2016)
- Bennett Douglas Bell Memorial Prize; Executive Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review; Order of the Coif; Vice President, Black Law Students Association; Vanderbilt Law School Board of Advisors (2016-17)
- The Honorable Amul Thapar, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky (2016–17)
- The Honorable Sri Srinivasan, United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit (2017–18)
- The Honorable Sonia Sotomayor, Associate Justice, Supreme Court of the United States (2018-19)